Soy and ginger steamed cockles and mussels
- 50g fresh ginger
- 1 stick lemongrass
- 1 shallot
- 1 small red chilli
- 500g fresh cockles
- 500g live Shetland mussels
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50ml soy sauce
- 200ml fish stock
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 spring onion, finely diced, for garnish
- Finely dice the ginger, lemongrass, shallot and chilli. Thoroughly rinse and de-beard the cockles and mussels and discard any shells that are damaged or open.
- Heat a large pan over a high heat, add the oil and sweat off the ginger, lemongrass and shallot for 1-2 mins.
- Add the shellfish and stir, then after 30 seconds pour in the soy sauce and 50ml of your fish stock, cover with a lid and leave to cook for
- Once the mussels and cockles have opened, add the rest of the fish stock and the red chilli and bring to a boil.
- Finally, add the zest and juice of the lime, 2½ tbsp of the coriander and the sesame seeds and stir.
- Spoon into a bowl, garnish with spring onions and the rest of the coriander and serve right away.